Visioning is the creation of a preferred future that imaginatively captures values and ideals.
Within an organization there are five possible levels of maturity for visioning:
- Ad hoc: Members of the organization assume that their uniqueness is the standard industry offering but better in some way —cheaper, faster, etc. and vision is rarely discussed.
- Aware: The leader establishes the vision and then promotes it within the organization in selected venues.
- Capable: The vision statement is known by most members of the organization, and is identifiable with the organization. The organization clearly articulates its value proposition.
- Mature: The vision articulates the value proposition of the organization, making it unique among industry peers and easily identifiable.
- World-class: Vision and values are co-created with all stakeholders. Members of the organization are inspired and enabled to make decisions and take action to bring the vision to life.
Once you’ve identified your vision, how will your organization nurture and develop it?
Next discipline: Planning.